Solving puzzles is a hobby of mine, but personally, I gave up trying to understand what she was trying to say seventeen years ago after I realised it wasn’t a task worth undertaking. Instead I took on the Gulf News monopoly by introducing competition into the market as founding publisher of the Waiheke Marketplace.
However, a few ardent cryptologists still stick to their elusive task and one of them, rather unkindly, sent me a copy of Water’s rant last week. They know I enjoy a cerebral challenge and invited me to decipher what she was trying to say. Against my better judgement I took a look …
Oh dear! There was neither a reasonable, rational pattern of thought nor a stream of consciousness. Things have drifted badly over the years; drifted so badly, they’re barely afloat.
Liz’s narrative is big on religion, god and the devil. It is also anti-Semitic.
She has a long list of demons:
- Democracy, which she proclaims is a ‘mummified totem’ and ‘A system no longer fit for purpose’.
- Auckland Council is ‘unfit for purpose’.
- Yachties - who are told to ‘keep their hands off kauri.
- The Government is targeted for ‘shoddy lawmaking’.
- Capitalism is a ‘fake’ and ‘in a war with the environment’.
- Fox News - are ‘fascists’
- The Jews - are knocked for their ‘globe-strangling usury that most traditional religions specifically forbid’!
Liz has a shorter list of idols:
- Russell Brand - who she describes as a ‘former crack head’ and as having a ‘firm, dark, more-than-usually-Christ-like stare’.
- George Monbiot - the ‘Guardian’s man of the year’. He is a climate change guru, is anti-capitalist and pin up boy of the left-wing environmental lobby. Indeed the Waters diatribe is pure Monbiot without the intellectual rigour. She doesn’t mention his pro-nuclear proclivities.
Nothing has done more damage to Waiheke over the last thirty years than Gulf News. Water’s unacknowledged bias and left-wing, environmentalist, pseudo-intellectual diatribes have led the population down the garden path on a host of kooky left wing causes, most of which have come to nothing but have brought the island into national disrepute.
Back to the puzzle. The true objective of this latest rant appears to be a call to action for the island’s Green Taliban rent-a-mob to take to the streets in favour of creating an impoverished and backward Waiheke Republic. That is why she rejects democracy in favour of an environmental dictatorship. The plan is to hand Waiheke and its ratepayers’ money over to her chosen ones, to those she has helped into power. To create a community where “What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine”.
Meanwhile, in her brave new world order she will continue in her monopoly capitalist ways, making as much money out of the ‘proletariat’ as she can to feed her collection of island properties. It is all so very hypocritical.
There are no prizes for deciphering the hidden messages in the Gulf News editorials but there are definite advantages to knowing where they are coming from and where they are intended to lead us. They are a whirlpool of pseudo intellectual, left wing, quasi-religious cultist ideas designed to suck in the unwary and uninformed. Dangerous Waters indeed!